How can we keep the rail corridor rich in biodiversity?

Create a Bicycle Highway

Bicycle Highway can be found in many countries in Europe. In recent years, there are also plans to build such bike highways in California.
Bicycle Highway differs from PCN in the sense that the lanes are wider and there are more than one lane in both directions. This allow faster cyclist to overtake and allow casual cyclist to cruise on the slower lane . Another feature that can be considered to a bike highway is to have entrance/exit points at every X km (example 3km) so as to minimize the disruption of incoming traffic for long distance travellers.
With the existing rail track that reaches the heart of the city, such a bike highway will introduce an alternate viable mode of transportation to work and encourages going green at the same time.

297 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service
    Signed in as (Sign out)
    You have left! (?) (thinking…)
    Nelson Tan shared this idea  ·   ·  Admin →

19 comments

Sign in
    Check!
    (thinking…)
    Reset
    or sign in with
    • facebook
    • google
      Password icon
      I agree to the terms of service
      Signed in as (Sign out)
      Submitting...
      • Anonymous commented  · 

May I add that this corridor can provide an alternative means of transportation. It runs from North to South and if you link up with all the PCN you can reach all parts of Singapore. Don't just limit it to bicycle. It should be open to all form of transportation except cars and motorcycle. Imagine you can reach all parts of Singapore without stopping at any traffic light or being knock down by cars. Stop over faciulities for some light refreshment or a toilet break would be great. Since I am staying just next to a PCN, I can go to work on my electric bicycle. Would that be great?

• Anonymous commented  · 

A stretch of thin, naturally delicate, uninterrupted path from the suburbs direct to the heart of the city. You can't deny that a cycle path makes perfect sense. Many other cities have done this and have not regretted it.

You can only have that much recreational spots and without a purpose, the entire stretch of corridor may remain hardly used.

• Piku Choo commented  · 

HOW would a "wider" bicycle track ENHANCE Biodiversity?

This and other ideas that moot for a more formal track for bicycling FAIL to realise that once it is formalized as a "road", even if it is only for bicycles, it IMMEDIATELY makes it necessary to comply with certain codes/regulations governing such facilities to ensure it is fit for purpose, eg: street lighting.

Now, do you as an obvious enthusiastic cyclist not think that it is selfish in the EXTREME that such requirements would essentially destroy the tranquil, serene haven that is the GREEN corridor? The very reason why most if not ALL those who currently use it, want to go there in the first place?

Just the lighting along such a formalized track alone would introduce light pollution into an area that is otherwise relatively dark. Even the Night Safari has muted lighting and is NOT lit up throughout the night.

As it is, anyone who wants to explore the Rail Corridor in the night does so at their own risk and rightly so. And they should bring their own torches and not expect the corridor to be lit up like the middle of Orchard Rd for their convenience.

• Anonymous commented  · 

I support a cycling track, but probaly not the type of Park connector. Also, the corridor is very precious in connecting the fragmented nature reserves. Enjoy the corridor while avoid disrupting the biodiversity we have along corridor. It's the only corridor that connects the fragmented nature reserves and forests.

• yoda tan commented  · 

green and cycle. fully support

• Samuel commented  · 

Maybe to keep it green, half the space could be paved, or three-quarters for the track, so that some 'old' or green spaces can be kept too. Just a suggestion

• Nelson Tan commented  · 

Check out the following links from New York Department of Transportation...

Graph of the Day: Proof that Bike Lanes Attract Bike Riders

This is good news for cyclists, but also for drivers and straphangers; if they are on bikes, they are not in cars or trains. The lesson of this chart, then, is that if you build bike lanes, cyclists will appear to fill them.

http://www.treehugger.com/bikes/graph-day-proof-bike-lanes-attract-bike-riders.html

It's time Singapore design in a new viable transportation infrastructure on bikes, especially when we see the strain on our existing MRT lines with the recent frequent breakdown of services.

• Genghis Khan commented  · 

This is the perfect plan for the rail corridor. I was hiking near the old Bukit Timah train station this past week-end and thought for myself that having a long stretch of greenery for cycling (and with no traffic interruption whatsoever) would make perfect sense. It would be extremely easy to implement and would not disturb biodiversity.

• Francois Gagnon commented  · 

Thank you Nelson for your idea here. I have always thought that to connect the PCN ending at Buona Vista with downtown would be fantastic. Moreover, East Coast Park should eventually connect with the barrage, which means cyclists could eventually ride from Woodlands to Pasir Ris via downtown without practically a wheel on the road. That would be great, and it would be pure common sense regarding all the PCNs built so far. Your highway would link them all and create a cycling path where there is practically none so far.

• Anonymous commented  · 

It will be nice and safer for cyclist to stay away from the road.And must have a good lighting so cyclist can commute 24hrs

• lm commented  · 

Many good suggestions. However, many of them do not answer the question of 'How can we keep the rail corridor rich in biodiversity?' at all, which is the focus of this section of the forum. How does converting TPRS into an MRT station keep the rail corridor rich in biodiversity? 'Green' does not equal biodiversity. Suggest that the forum moderator move suggestions like this one to a more appropriate section. (Please feel free to delete this comment after moving the suggestion. Thank you.)

• Hansen commented  · 

Great! I wanted to write this idea in this forum. But since it's suggested, I would add on.

The "Green Corridors" narrow land space is ideal for such projects, minimal disruption to major roads, since there is already a empty land to use.

If the authorities could build the PCN from Tanjong Pagar, linking it to Mount Faber/Henderson Park/Hort Park (These area are not far from TPRS) and link it to the existing Choa Chu Kang, and possibility Mandai Road PCN too. Link it all the way to Woodland's PCN. It will make Singapore a unique island park.

Future events could be held here too. Such as marathons.. etc No need to close major roads in the city causing headache for drivers.

• Koh Wei Kiang commented  · 

That's a great idea, at busy bike junctions you can even built left-in-left-out junctions like on highways! And cyclists do not have to breathe noxious fumes unlike when cycling along busy roads.

• Grace Tan commented  · 

This is a fantastic idea!
        Would encourage a healthy lifestyle and also save the environment.

• Anonymous commented  · 

Great idea. This way, cars see less cyclists -> less accidents. Also, us cyclists dont have much empty, traffic-light-less, car-less, safe and smooth roads besides Changi Coast. :)

• Lee yean commented  · 

Love the idea! Yes greener n healthier .,

• Michael Lai commented  · 

This is a fantastic idea ... with infra-structure set in place, the demand will automatically flows in. Cycling is fast becoming a main stream sports in Singapore. Let's be a shinning example to our neighboring countries. We want to be a Garden City, this is the way to go forward. 2 Thumbs Up !

• Anonymous commented  · 

Great Idea! This will get Singaporeans to embark on a healthy life style. Must take precautions that the motorbikes don't get onto this highway. Greener, Healthier, Save the Earth option

Feedback and Knowledge Base