How can we keep the rail corridor rich in biodiversity?

I would like to suggest that we keep the green corridor as much as possible as it is in order not to destroy the existing biodiversity. Howe

I would like to suggest to preserve the green rail corridor as much as possible as it is. However, do consider to provide more that adequate provision for cyclists such as ample space for bicycle lanes, separate from pedestrians. This is to help create a safe environment for cyclists using this green spine to actually commute (I don't mean cycling for exercise or recreation only) between north and south of Singapore. Let this green be an alternative mode of transport. In the long run, this may help cut down reliance on other motorised mode of transport. Currently, East Coast Parkway can be considered as the 1st cycling highway connecting Changi village to (eventually) the Barrage and the CBD (this stretch still not complete?). People along along the East Coast area can actually commute to work via ECPark to CBD (it just longer but is healthier way to commute). Let provision be made for people living in the north and along the Green Spine to commute to work in CBD. It's possible some people can use it that way. Currently, I myself commute to work (not every day, but certainly some days of the week) from East Coast area to Bedok Reservior area via the Siglap Park Connector. It takes me only 30 min to reach my work place. When I go to work on my bicycle, the going to and coming back from work is actually the highlight of the day. To cycle to work early in the morning (7.30 am ) and back home (6 pm) is actually not hot at all. It is a very happy start to a work day!

In converting the Green Spine, care must be taken not to disturb the biodiverty (don't scare away the birds!). That probably can be resolved at the localised level.

If EC Park is the first bicycle highway linking the east to CBD, then the Green Spine can be the bicycle highway linking the north to the CBD in the south.

Ang Kian Nam (93859104)

43 votes
Vote
Sign in
Check!
(thinking…)
Reset
or sign in with
  • facebook
  • google
    Password icon
    I agree to the terms of service